Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Note From Our Artistic Director


Graham Scott Green is the artistic director/theater guru here at Murphys Creek Theatre. He is one of the founders of the company, and coordinates the wildly successful Mirror Project program in addition to direction zillions of plays. Here, Graham gives us some insight into our next play, "Laundry and Bourbon/Lone Star," opening April 24.

After the great success of “Escanaba in da Moonlight,” I didn’t want to return to obscurity for four months, so I had to come up with a show that would fit into the season. I have always loved the two one-act plays “Laundry and Bourbon” and “Lone Star.” Written as companion pieces, together they make up a play called “1959 Pink Thunderbird.” But I prefer the title “Laundry and Bourbon/Lone Star.” The pink Thunderbird figures in the story but is never really a part of the action. Conversely, laundry and bourbon are both prevelant in the first half of the show and Ray and Roy swill plenty of Lone Star in the second.

LBLS is now a period piece. Set in the mid ’70s in Maynard, Texas, Roy Caulder is having trouble getting anything started since coming back from Vietnam. I was concerned that it would seem a little antiquated. But it occurred to me that we are still dealing with those issues. Same issues, different war. Some things never change. And the issues of love and family that Elizabeth wrestles with in the first half are timeless. The question of where our heart decides to take itself and drag us along has been the same since time immemorial.

But what I really love about these plays is the way the playwright, James McLure, has crafted characters of depth and humor. Roy is a foulmouthed, self-absorbed redneck but his loyalty and deep love for his family and friends redeem his profanity. Ray may be a little slow, but his heart is in the right place. Hattie is a neurotic mess but her relationship with Elizabeth is unflappable. I think each of us can identify with at least a part of these characters and the struggles they are going through. That’s what makes this an excellent example of a well-crafted play.
I’ve been having a great time working on these shows. I’m working with fabulous actors and crew. I feel blessed that my job involves laughing a lot. There are times in rehearsal I have to stop for a chuckle break. I hope audiences will find this play as fun as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment